Thursday, May 2, 2013

Shopping Time

I still have a few essays to mark before this current round is done and I do it all online through the learning management system. Of course, today was the day that the online system was down for a while, so I ended up wasting a few crucial hours and now I have all this evening work to do. And now I can't go to Jessie's exhibition opening, goddammit. Earlier, rather than just sitting in my office shouting things at the computer I decided to go into the city for a little retail therapy (um, Thoreau would not approve of this but that's OK). It was a blue-sky day so it was fortunate that I got to leave my office. I ended up at Curtin House, and bought a couple of nice things for myself.

 

I'm particularly excited about the David Lynch book, I think I saw it at Lucy's place recently and thought 'I need to read this', and then it was the first book I saw at Metropolis. I need to read it because I feel like I need to hear wise advice that makes creative or scholarly work seem a little easier and less angst-worthy. And this blog is even based upon the old Lynch guy, of course! Here are a couple of his ideas I've read so far:

I used to go to Bob's Big Boy restaurant just about every day from the mid-seventies until the early eighties. I'd have a milk shake and sit and think.

There's a safety in thinking in a diner. You can have your coffee or your milk shake, and you can go off into strange dark areas, and always come back to the safety of the diner.

*******
It would be great if the entire film came all at once. But it comes, for me, in fragments. That first fragment is like the Rosetta Stone. It's the piece of the puzzle that indicates the rest. It's a hopeful puzzle piece.

*******
In the film business, there's so much pressure; there's so much room for anxiety and fear. But transcending makes life more like a game - a fantastic game. And creativity can really flow. It's an ocean of creativity. It's the same creativity that creates everything that is a thing. It's us.

No comments:

Post a Comment