Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Melbourne Zoo


I joined the zoo! As in, I became an member of the zoo, which means that I get 365 days a year of zoo action at Parkville, Healesville and Werrribee. And if I go to Taronga in Sydney I'm also covered! I am very excited... this was my present for yesterday. I can't believe I've never thought about doing this until now, after all I'm like a twenty minute bike ride away from this place and it is such a weird and beautiful place. I have membership to see all of these amazing animals and also to be able to hang out whenever I want in an incredible themed park space.
It's like an autumn wonderland at Melbourne Zoo at the moment. I didn't end up getting to the zoo until half an hour before closing, so I couldn't even visit most of the animal areas yet, but this is all ahead. I went to the zoo once last year, but it was part of a 10km fun run so it was a little psychedelic, running past all of these gorillas and lions while people are taking photos of you and you feel like you are going to die at the same time. This way, I don't need to worry about a 'once only' visit, I can come and go for short times or long, whenever I feel like it, my whole relationship to the space will change.
I spend a lot of time at Royal Park, why haven't I thought about doing this before? I mean, it makes perfect sense!
This is the themed 'Asian rainforest/jungle' section of the zoo, close to the gorillas (who were already in bed when I went past at 4:45pm yesterday avo).
Here's one guy I managed to catch before I left!
Some fish near the platypusary - the platypus was moving too quickly to take photos of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment