Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tabet's Bakery

You may be beginning to gather that I do not have very much spare time at the moment. I spent all of the weekend working on my preparation for an important Skype interview and also in preparation for all of my uni work that I need to do for this week. I didn't really leave the house at all. I had enough time for a Burrito break at lunch yesterday, but I worked all day otherwise. Today I had the Skype interview at 1pm, finishing at nearly 2pm. I woke up early and kept preparing up until 12:50pm. I had a banana for breakfast and a coffee, but I wasn't very hungry. After the interview, I felt drained, empty. I didn't know what to do... although I knew that I had little time for feeling empty, given that the uni work still needs to be finished for tomorrow's classes. I wanted to take a ride somewhere, but I couldn't go far. So I got in the car and drove to Tabet's.

Tabet's is a middle eastern bakery on Sydney Road that is universally renowned for making the best spinach and cheese triangles in Melbourne. I think that they use at least two different kinds of cheese, and onion as well, and also perhaps the use of some herb that I cannot identify.  Their secret is that the spinach and cheese mix is salty, but it is not too salty and there are elements of sweetness from the onion. Also the dryness of the pastry contrasts perfectly with the moist green interior. They have a large oven that is permanently on all day to warm up your pre-baked pastry.

And then I had a can of Coke. I sat at the bakery and relaxed for ten minutes, watching a US talk show (sound down) on the TV set in the corner. And then I drove home, to get started on the next work deadline.


No comments:

Post a Comment